Friday, September 9, 2011

Lost and Found

Recently while cleaning out the office supply closet, I found a white envelope with some interesting items inside, see below.





 Included was a copy of an email sent to the Italian Consulate SF from my boss.  The email reads:

 "My boss found a number of personal items left in a taxi cab by someone visiting New York City.  It has been about six months since he found these items, but he wanted to try to return them to their owner.  Can you give me any information about the best way to do this?"

 The date, Monday, November 12, 2001, 2:12 PM.

Needless to say, the email went unanswered and so the envelope containing a wallet with an Italian ID, student ID, Italian Lira, and a pair a pearl earrings, a cosmetic bag with comb and blush, and a day planner all remain in San Francisco stowed away on a shelf in the back.

 I immediately felt some sort of responsibility as well as excitement about now, ten years later, finding the rightful owner.  Her name is Emanuela Pescatore.  I found someone with the name on Facebook and messaged them, but don't feel like I'll get a response since my message is in English and she obviously has no idea who I am.  Does anyone know a better way to go about this?  Doesn't this feel right out of a movie?  I've already played out a million different scenarios in my head of how this will turn out.  And the inevitable thought that crept in, because it's that time of year, what if she was a victim of 9/11?  If she was a student in NYC in May 2011, is it possible she was there for those horrible events?  I certainly hope not, and am wishing for a more romantic ending.  But I'm also glad to know that I'll never forget those events and the people affected by them.  The thought of NYC in 2001 will always remind me of that day, and I am thankful for that memory.  I hope you can take a moment to remember the victims and their families this weekend.

No comments: