Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Treats

Wow, this day has flown by! And thank goodness, Mondays always seem harder/longer when they are cold and rainy. Today I want to share with you some of the tasty treats I enjoyed over my Thanksgiving holiday. Thursday morning, my friend and I cooked a big brunch at my apartment that included her very special Southern Breakfast Casserole and a new recipe that I tried, Baked Stuffed Apples. I looked at multiple recipes to try and figure out how to make them but ultimately I just threw together the most decadent ingredients to ensure we would like what we tasted. Sure enough and thankfully, the apples did not fail (recipe-ish below. And please keep in mind, I am no food photographer, but trying.)


Baked Stuffed Apples
Serves 2ppl
2 Granny Smith Apples halved and cored
Brown Sugar
Sugar
Cinnamon
Butter
Orange Juice
Pecans


Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Place apples in a casserole dish insides facing up. Put a pat of butter in the center of each (did I mention this is not a "healthy" apple dish?) Mix dry ingredients together and sprinkle a pinch or two on each apple. Place pecans in center of apples. Pour about a cup and a half of orange juice all over apples. Cover with foil and stick in the oven for 45 minutes. About half way through, I took them out and spooned some of the orange juice from the bottom back onto the apples. Unfortunately I didn't get a shot of the final product, they were eaten too quickly!








With our fantastic brunch we drank lots of coffee and mimosas, more of the latter:). But I do want to recommend the coffee, or rather the coffee maker. I've become a pretty big coffee drinker since living in NYC. It's one of those habits I say I need to stop but know deep down I never will. I particularly love it from a french press. The coffee has a stronger, smoother taste than usual to me. Not only does it taste better but I enjoy making it much more. The process is somewhat cathartic and relaxing to me.




And finally, much later in the day, we scooped ourselves off the couch and made it over to Atlantic Grill for one of the best thanksgiving feasts I've had in a while. Sorry mom, your squash cassserole still reigns supreme! Anyway, in addition to the traditional spread, we had two appetizers and we went big and ordered this:
The oysters were every bit as yummy as they look and the pomegranate seeds gave them a hint of fall flavor. Well done Atlantic Grill! I hope my readers had a great day too!

No comments: