Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Neighborhood Sweets

Growing up in Nashville, we always had a go-to bakery for birthdays and special occasions, or even just a special after school treat for good grades (although this was a rarity for me.)  Becker's Bakery is well-known to Nashvillians and even though it closed it's Belmont neighborhood doors a few years back, they are still thriving in another location just outside of town.

I'm lucky to have found a similar place in NYC just two avenues from my apartment!  We used Two Little Red Hens all the time at my last event planning job for our birthday cake needs.  Their cakes are rich and tasty and their buttercream frosting is simply heavenly.  It's so creamy and buttery, ahhhh, I just melt.  I would totally recommend them for your next event.  They are a delight to work with and their cake decorators are true artists.  Their store is a teeny space that is reminiscent of a small farm house.  Tons of straw baskets both hang from the ceilings and hold cookies and muffins on top of glass cake displays. Red hen memoribila decorates the shelves and there are three or four small tables for patrons to sit to enjoy their coffee and cupcake(s).  My favorite is the red velvet cupcake and I'm sure it won't take you long to find a favorite flavor of your own.  You can find them on E. 86th St. and 2nd Avenue.

I love all of the handwritten displays.

Cakes, pies, scones, muffins, brownies, tartes, etc.!

Red Velvet Cupcake, especially divine.
Images courtesy: Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

1 comment:

suzanne said...

your sketches really make your blog special!!!