Monday, February 22, 2010

Viva Las New York!

This Sunday afternoon I popped into Barnes and Noble.  I should have known better.  It was packed beyond packed.  I trudged on though determined to find something.  First stop, interior design books, then cookbooks, then event planning, and finally wrapped it up at magazines.  Although I went in initially with no real plan, I decided once inside to make this trip about work and therefore, not a total waste of an hour and a half on a beautiful sunny New York afternoon. 

It's been a little over a year since I've been in the event planning business so first things first, get familiar with current local vendors.  Vendors can make or break your business and developing good relationships is key to successful events.  I found a magazine that was chock full of photgraphers, cake decorators, caterers etc., a fantastic pick and truly fun to look at. 

One article in particular caught my eye and I couldn't wait to share it here.  Over the past 8 months, down in the Lower East Side of NYC, there was a temporary art installation/space otherwise known as The Norfolk Street Wedding Chapel.  No need to jet off to Vegas, New Yorkers could easily stumble over to Grand Opening at 139 Norfolk for their quickie wedding or vow renewals.  The teeny space has also been home to some other exciting concepts including a drive-in movie theater, ping pong, and underground poker.  This is the kind of place that makes New York such a unique city.  And because the Wedding Chapel was so successful, I have a feeling they might bring it back this summer :)

The first couple to wed at Grand Opening.


Decorated for a lucky couple wanting a memorable NYC wedding.


Guests shotgunning beers outside of a shotgun space for a possible shotgun wedding?


Getaway vehicle of choice for these newlyweds.


No comments: